HPV or the Human Papillomavirus is one of the highly contagious viruses ever known to man. It can be transmitted by a mere touch from the infected area (warts) to a broken part of the skin to transmit the virus. HPV can also be transmitted sexually making it another addition to the long list of Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI).There are actually numerous diseases that HPV can cause when getting infected. Aside from just warts, HPV is known to cause certain cancer and much more; thus, people should be more knowledgeable in approaching people with warts and the what not.
Here are 10 HPV Facts that you should be aware of:
- HPV is the most common sexually transmitted virus in the USA.
- Most people who have genital HPV don’t know they have it. There are often no symptoms and goes away on its own
- HPV can easily be passed to others without even knowing it. HPV is one of the viruses that is very easy to pass.
- There is no direct cure for HPV but there are treatments for the health problems that some type of HPV can cause.
- Though HPV is generally harmless, some types are said to cause Cervical Cancer and could be deadly if not detected on time.
- Over 4,000 women die of cervical cancer each year in the United States.
- HPV strands 16 and 18 are linked to head and neck cancer.
- 30% of oral carcinoma is related to HPV. It is commonly seen in ages 20-39.
- Generally, there are over 400 types of HPV viruses and 40 types of HPV viruses that can infect sexually.
- At least 50% of all sexually active men and women acquire this virus at least once in their lives